Sunday, April 26, 2015

Resonance

A quick update before we start talking about 'resonance'... First, check it out, in the web version of this blog there's a link to follow me and get an email every time I post something new. You should totally do that! Also, big thanks to you for reading this, because you are one of the people who have checked out the blog over 2000 times! I am humbled and grateful and hopeful that you find something interesting, entertaining, or enlightening. Thank you so much for reading my rambling! On with a thought or two about resonance... 

About 20 years ago, my buddy Richard and I attended a free guitar clinic hosted by a Salt Lake City guitar shop. The shop is called Acoustic Music, and it’s been there for over 40 years, serving Utah musicians with one of the best assortments of stringed instruments in the state. The guy leading the discussion was Dan Crary, one of our favorite bluegrass guitar pickers.

Dan was one of the flat-picking pioneers, bridging the gap between Doc Watson (a blind country boy who was one of the fastest pickers you ever heard, who was most active in the 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s) and Tony Rice (who added jazzy chord voicings, syncopated soloing and spacy, floaty licks way up the neck, most active in the 70’s, 80’s, and early 90’s). There were a few other guys in there like Norman Blake and Clarence White, but Dan Crary was certainly one of the first handful to use a pick with an acoustic guitar and solo like a fiddle player.
 
I realize that I’ve lost 99% of you readers, who have no desire to hear about this stuff, but hang in there—we’ll get to something you’ll like!

Dan is an interesting guy, who has degrees in theology and philosophy… maybe the last guy you’d expect to be playing bluegrass for a living, especially if your impression of bluegrass pickers is somewhere between Hee Haw and Ernest P. Worrell (know what I mean, Vern?) But Dan is an engaging speaker, fantastic teacher, and his playing is precise and melodic. It was cool to spend a couple hours with him as he played for us and broke down a couple tunes, and discussed technique and his love for the acoustic guitar. Richard and I were in heaven!

 
It’s been a long time, but there are some poignant things I remember from that afternoon—a couple of which made permanent, lasting impact on me! First, I remember him talking about effective ‘practicing.’ This was of course about the guitar, but it has universal application. I may post about his tips another day.

My favorite part of the day was his sharing how he felt about playing the guitar, and his infectious love of music. I think the topic came up after someone asked him the question, ‘how can I get my kids to want to learn to play?’ His answer surprised me with its bluntness: ‘Don’t buy them crappy guitars.’ (Actually his answer was blunter than this, but that’s as descriptive as I’ll get in my family-friendly blog).

He went on to talk about a woman named Jacqueline du Pre, who upon hearing the sound of the cello on the radio as a four year old girl, told her mom, “I want one of those.” Her mother was a pianist, and began teaching young Jacqueline the basics of the instrument, on a real (though smaller scale) cello, and then enrolled her in a proper London conservatory at age 5. Jacqueline du Pre went on to become world famous, one of the most highly regarded cellists of all time, achieving the rare feat of mass popularity outside the world of classical music aficionados.

Dan talked about how he had a similar feeling upon hearing bluegrass music being played, and of his love of fiddle tunes and acoustic guitar. He talked about how this love of the tone and tempo and instrumentation of the music and instrument just created this desire to learn and do and experience more with it, ultimately driving him to help shape a whole new way of playing a familiar genre on a familiar instrument, in a way that had never been heard before.


Jacqueline du Pre
He spoke of the guitar and his gratitude and debt and appreciation for it in a hushed, reverent tone. It was clear his connection to the instrument was perhaps his most prized possession, if you can call it that. He just loved the guitar, and it sounds kind of weird, but he just loves loving to play too; there’s just such a deep well of joy and fulfillment and satisfaction and gratitude that it was infectious—in fact here I am sitting on a bus at the end of a long work day writing to you about it, some twenty years later.

I have thought, many, many times since, about what would have happened if four-year old Jackie’s mother just bought her a toy instrument, one from the 50’s British equivalent of Wal-Mart, something that made a sound nothing like the one that had captivated her. Or if her mum tried to steer her into another instrument. Or what if her mother didn’t listen at all, and didn’t give her daughter a chance to discover the beauty of this instrument, and the greatness inside her, awakened by the tone of a well-played, quality instrument? Would the world have ever heard of Jacqueline, or her music?

I’ve tried to give my kids access to real instruments, even a couple professional-quality ones. I often keep the nice ones out, so they can be played. My beloved Martin HD28 has more nicks and scratches than I can count, but it sure has been loved and played! I remember the first time it got a ding on its top, right where everyone can see it. I was mortified (this was during the late 90’s, and I’d spent close to $2000 on it). I’d had it maybe a couple weeks, and I think it happened when I was playing with the still-toddling Ethan. That feeling of terror soon gave way to relief—it had survived a good wallop, still played great, didn’t look like a museum artifact, and it was gonna get dented at some point! No sense worrying about it, right?

I love having discussions with friends and family (especially the kids) about music, literature, even TV, movies, sports and other slices of culture—pop culture or ‘real’ culture that I like—sharing new finds or old favorites that they come to love too. Kids can detect when we are sincere, can’t they? They also stink at feigning enthusiasm; in fact they just can’t do it. As a kid, my brothers and I called it playing the ‘I’m Happy Game.’ Pretending you like something so you don’t offend someone, when in reality you may not be too excited about the gift, suggestion, or food put in front of you for your enjoyment.
 
I like the word resonate. One of the Oxford Dictionary’s definitions of resonate is ‘evoke or suggest images, memories, and emotions.’ I can’t think of anything more exciting than seeing something resonate with someone—the eyes widening, the big flooding smile as they are stirred in an incredible way!

When something you love resonates with someone you love, it’s powerful, isn’t it? When you introduce them to something that means so much to you, it’s especially fulfilling. Different things have resonated with my kids. Ethan took to skateboarding so well, riding aggressively, like a man, even from a young age. How much fun do you think it was to see him go from doing basic stuff to tricks that I never even dreamed of doing? Even into my 40’s I’ve loved going to parks and riding with him; first to teach him and ultimately to be taught by him!

And I’ve written before about Liam’s talent on the guitar—he just smokes me! It is fun to see him and Ethan both respond to songs or artists I discovered a long time ago. And my girls… it is so fun to watch them get excited about things like our favorite shows, Granite Flats and American Ninja Warrior. Annelise, Corrinne, and I have been unable to get Darcie or the boys to watch them, but the girls and I NEVER miss an episode! In fact we have probably watched each episode of Granite Flats’ three seasons several times EACH, looking for little details we missed before, and also laughing at some of the silliness. But it’s a blast!



Kacy Catanzaro's Talent Resonates with my Daughters!
And sometimes when we watch American Ninja Warrior we will exercise during the three minute commercial breaks—an easy way to get 15 minutes’ worth of pushups, squats, jumping jacks and planks in! Seeing them respond to women like Kacy Catanzaro and the other athletes on ANW has inspired them to be more fit. We all marvel at Corrinne’s 11-year-old biceps and Annelise’s ability to kick in to high gear on the last couple hundred yards of a mile or two long run. What a joy to see them getting so strong and excited! And it was a blast to watch the final show with them last summer, while we chatted on the phone the entire time, me in Portland, them in Seattle, watching a couple hundred miles apart from each other.
This post has been like strolling down a long and winding road, hasn’t it? What, you ask, am I trying to say? A bunch of things! First of all, life is awesome isn’t it? So many good and great and magical things lovingly put here by God for us to enjoy and experience. I’m grateful for people like Dan Crary, and so many others who share their talents to create moments that resonate with me! I’m also grateful to have been able to share a few things that have resonated with others, truly energizing them and bringing them joy.

I’m also glad we have teachers and mentors like Dan, who gave me some practical tips about making the most of my meager talents (or at the very least my passion) for playing guitar, but especially for his sharing the fire and passion that was truly inspiring to see and feel firsthand. So many things learned from so many people, I couldn’t begin to list them all! Who has taught you something that stuck with you for a year, a decade, or even a lifetime?

And also, I’m wondering, what resonates with you? What moments and creations have meant so much to you that you’ve treasured and shared your enthusiasm with others, igniting a new passion or appreciation in them? You just never know when something new will resonate with you, opening your eyes, lifting your spirits, unearthing your talents, and setting you on a new journey! Anything I’ve got to check out? Post a comment, send me an email, or better yet, give me a call!

No comments:

Post a Comment